Oceanic Currents short questions mcq pdf
489. Agulhas current flows in
(A) The Indian Ocean
(B) The Pacific Ocean
(C) North Atlantic Ocean
(D) South Atlantic Ocean
490. Which one of the following factors is responsible for the change in the regular direction of the ocean currents in the Indian Ocean?
(A) Indian Ocean is half an Ocean
(B) Indian Ocean has Monsoon drift
(C) Indian Ocean is a land-locked ocean
(D) Indian Ocean has greater variation in salinity
491. The country benefiting the most out of the North Atlantic Drift is
(A) Poland (B) Portugal
(C) Norway (D) Nigera
492. Which of the following is not a cold ocean current?
(A) Canaries (B) Humboldt
(C) Oyashio (D) Agulhas
493. Which one of the following Oceanic currents is not associated with the Pacific Ocean?
(A) Canaries (B) Kuroshio
(C) California (D) Humboldt
494. Which one of the following is a cold current of the South Atlantic Ocean?
(A) Canary current
(B) Benguela current
(C) Agulhas current
(D) Brazil current
495. Which one of the following currents does not contribute to form a complete circle of currents in the South Atlantic Ocean?
(D) West wind drift
496. Which of the following ocean currents does not belong to Indian Ocean?
(A) Agulhas Current
(B) Mozambique Current
(C) South Indian Ocean Current
(D) Benguela Current
497. Which of the following is cold ocean current?
(A) Peruvian Current (Hamboldt Current)
(B) Kuroshio Current
(C) Gulf Stream
(D) Brazil Current
498. The ocean current different from the remaining three is
(C) South Equatorial
499. Gulf stream is
(A) a river in the gulf
(B) an oceanic current
(C) another name of Jet Stream
(D) a surface wind
500. Which of the following is not matched correctly?
(A) Brazil Current – South Atlantic Ocean
(B) Hamboldt Current – North Pacific Ocean
(C) Gulf Stream – North Atlantic Ocean
(D) Agulhas Current – Indian Ocean
501. Consider the following factors.
1. Rotation of the Earth
2. Air pressure and wind
3. Density of ocean water
4. Revolution of the Earth Which of the above factor influence the ocean currents?
(A) 1 and 2 (B) 1, 2 and 3
(C) 1 and 4 (D) 2, 3 and 4
502. What explains the Eastward flow of the equatorial counter-current?
(A) The Earth’s rotation on its axis
(B) Convergence of the two equatorial currents
(C) Difference in salinity of water
(D) Occurrence of the Belt of Calm near the equator
503. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the code given below the lists. List-I
(a) Gulf Stream
(b) West Wind Drift
(c) Peru Current
(d) West Australian Current List-II
1. Pacific Ocean
2. A slow Eastward movement of water over the zone of Westerly wind
3. Indian Ocean
4. Warm current Code
(a) (b) (c) (d)
(A) 4 2 1 3 (B) 1 3 4 2
(C) 4 3 1 2 (D) 1 2 4 3
504. Consider the following statements.
1. Ocean currents are the slowsurface movement of water in the ocean.
2. Ocean currents assist in maintaining the Earth’s heat balance.
3. Ocean currents are set in motion primarily by prevailing winds.
4. Ocean currents are affected by the configuration of the ocean. Which of these statements are correct?
(A) 1 and 2 (B) 2, 3 and 4
(C) 1, 3 and 4 (D) 1, 2, 3 and 4
505. Which of the following pair of oceanic currents is shown in the given map?
(A) Benguela and Falkland
(B) Canary and Hamboldt
(C) Agulhas and Guinea
(D) Benguela and Guinea
525. Which is the world’s deepest trench?
526. In which one of the following oceans Diamantina Trench is situated?
(A) Pacific Ocean
(B) Atlantic Ocean
(C) Indian Ocean
(D) Arctic Ocean
527. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the code given below the lists. List-I (Oceanic Trench)
(d) S. Sandwich List-II (Location)
1. Indian Ocean
2. North Pacific
3. South Pacific
4. South Atlantic Ocean Code
(a) (b) (c) (d)
(A) 2 4 1 3 (B) 2 3 1 4
(C) 1 3 2 4 (D) 1 4 2 3
528. Which one of the following is the deepest oceanic trench?
(A) Tonga (B) Mariana
(C) Puerto Rico (D) Izu-Bonin